Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Marathon Monday...the lighter version

Now that I've gone and waxed poetic (I truly do love that phrase) about the marathon itself, let me tell you about an embarrassing little incident that happened to me yesterday during said marathon.

After watching my brother run through Natick center from my usual spot, I walked a mile or so up the road to a party being held by a girl (Sarah) I graduated with and her husband (Matt). I have previously met Matt once---at another marathon party last year. This is an important factor in the story.

Sarah and Matt have an amazing annual marathon party, and this year they had tents set up along with a 'misting station' rigged up for the runners to cool down with (and by runners, I also include those of us party goers strategically placed downwind of it). By the time I got to the party it was about noon. The sun was at full blast and I had only had a banana and a bottle of water in the morning. I only had one drink, but after an hour or so of standing in the sweltering heat with no water and no shade, I was feeling a bit wilted and decided to go inside to cool off for a moment.

Once inside, I sat down on the stairs and out of nowhere felt a complete wave of heat exhaustion hit me. Just a huge wave of nausea and feeling passy-outey. I knew I needed water and luckily my friend Tobey walked by. I urgently asked her to bring me a bottle of water without even being able to explain why I needed it, and although she probably thought (I can actually confirm that she did) that I was being the biggest diva ever she promptly went outside and returned with a nice cold bottle of agua. The feeling passed with each sip of water, but unfortunately while I was sitting there (near the bathroom) Matt came in. I could explain the situation, but once I told my friend Mego about what happened she simply gave me his email address. Perhaps it would be best if I just shared the email with you.

Subject line: An apology/explanation from your most awkward party guest

Hi Matt,

Mego gave me your email address, and I wanted to shoot you a note to apologize for the most AWKWARD encounter ever yesterday.

I was the girl randomly sitting on your stairs looking hammered but not (I swear, I only had one hard cider). I had just come in to cool off when I got the BIGGEST wave of 'heat exhaustion/I'm potentially going to puke on strangers' feeling. I was sitting there trying to regain my mojo with a nice cold bottle of water when you walked in.

I knew who you were (we met briefly last year at Mego's and I graduated with Sarah) and what I MEANT to say was "Oh hi Matt, I'm Tammy. We met last year. Your house is beautiful! Thanks for having me and everyone else over. It's really nice of you both."

What I ACTUALLY think I said was 'No, I'm not waiting for my daughter (I don't even have a daughter BTW)...mefffrfjkh bathroom...blerg" or something to that effect. You looked at me strangely and slowly backed away before coming back to let me know I missed the bathroom. Then we all left soon after and I didn't get to tell you that I was not creepy creeper at your party and am in fact completely (mostly) normal and actually knew people there.

Anyway, if I could just start over...You have a beautiful (and cool, thank God) house and I enjoyed your steps and bathroom immensely. Your party was fantastic, and I loved the misting station. Lest you be alarmed, I want to reassure you that I did not frighten any children or puke in mysterious places (I didn't puke at all for that matter). However, full disclosure: I did NOT recycle the water bottle. Sorry.

In summary, thanks for having a kick-ass party!  

-Tammy 

No comments:

Post a Comment